Q: WHEN DO I CAPITALIZE A WORD?
- The first word of a sentence.
- The first word of a quotation. [He said, "Let's do it."]
- Exception: If a quotation is less than a sentence, don't capitalize the first word. [He said it was "wonderful."]
- The word "I."
- Proper names and abbreviations of proper names. [S.D. Tripp]
- Proper names used as adjectives. [the Fourier transform]
- Geographical names and names of political units. [Asia, Fukushima]
- Compass directions only when they are parts of names. [North Korea]
- Names of streets, buildings, parks, and companies. [Broadway, the Empire State Building, Central Park, Sony]
- Names of organizations and religions. [the Republican Party, Buddhism]
- Names of races and nationalities. [Caucasian, Japanese]
- The names of wars, battles, historical events, and historical periods. [World War II, the Battle of the Coral Sea, the Meiji Restoration, the Tokugawa Period]
- The names of prizes, treaties, and famous documents. [the Nobel Prize, the Declaration of Independence]
- Military and civilian titles. [General MacArthur, Prime Minister Hashimoto]
- Academic degrees. [John Smith, Ph.D.]
Write your title like this: Emergency information terminal using energy harvesting technology
Not this: Emergency Information Terminal Using Energy Harvesting Technology
M.S. Zoology, 2006
Orlando is pursuing a bachelor of science in civil engineering.
He introduced Jennifer Miller, Master of Fine Arts.
He introduced Master of Fine Arts Jennifer Miller.
Orlando is thinking about getting a Bachelor of Science degree.
Orlando is thinking about getting a master’s degree.
He introduced Orlando Cruz, Bachelor of Science.
- Updated by Vince on Sat 20 Aug 2016
- Since 2002, I have been a full-time international graduate admissions consultant
- Based most the year in Tokyo, Japan, I help clients around the world
- In 2007, I launched VincePrep because I wanted to help the best candidates aiming for the top schools
- To share my insights with a talented team, I rejoined Agos as Consulting Director in 2014
- Now, I lead 10 professionals who deliver Japan’s best graduate admissions results
- I also serve as Board President of The Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants (AIGAC)
- Given my ongoing professional and personal commitments, I accept very few clients
- Usually, I refer prospects to one of my highly-experienced and successful colleagues
- If interested, please complete this intake form
- Meanwhile, please explore my YouTube channel, and be sure to subscribe for the latest updates
- Thank you for your interest, and best wishes for your success!